Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver Criteria
The University of Arkansas has established the conditions in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, the alternate health coverage must meet the University’s minimum requirements listed below and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the deadline.
Criteria to submit a waiver:
1. Student is sponsored by the United States government.
2. Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
3. Student is enrolled by a U.S. employer health insurance plan or by a parent/spouse’s U.S. employer health insurance plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
4. Travel plans will not be accepted.
If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the Student Health Insurance Plan.
To be considered for a waiver your alternate plan must provide coverage that, at a minimum:
1. Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits (see below) required by the ACA with no annual limits;
2. Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions;
3. Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA;
4. Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $300 per year;
5. Provides coverage for Repatriation expenses of at least $25,000 and medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of at least $50,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage as described above;
6. Have a customer service phone number in the U.S. and a claims submission address in the United States.
Plans that do not meet the Health Care Coverage requirements of the University include:
1. Short Term Limited Duration Plans; and
2. So-called “travel plans” or other similar plans created expressly for the purpose of providing coverage to international students and/or non-immigrant visa holders.
Essential Minimum Benefits comprise of a comprehensive package of benefits and services that must be included in a ACA compliant health care, including:
1. Ambulatory patient services
2. Emergency services
3. Hospitalization (such as surgery)
4. Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care (care for a mother and baby before and after the baby is born)
5. Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment, counseling and psychotherapy
6. Prescription drugs
7. Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
8. Laboratory services
9. Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
If your alternate health insurance coverage meets these requirements, acquire the following scanned documents before clicking below to submit your waiver information:
1. A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member
2. A scanned copy of your complete policy, including exclusions & limitations and dependent coverage
Please contact Academic HealthPlans at 855-825-3981 if you have questions.