The University of Arkansas
Student Health Insurance Plan Waiver Criteria
The University of Arkansas has established the conditions in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, the alternate health coverage must meet the University’s minimum requirements listed below and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the February 25, 2017 deadline.
To be considered for a waiver your alternate plan must provide coverage that, at a minimum:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits (see below) required by the PPACA with no annual limits;
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions;
- Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA;
- Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $300 per year;
- Provides coverage for Repatriation expenses of at least $25,000 and medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of at least $50,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage as described above;
- Have a customer service phone number in the U.S. and a claims submission address in the United States.
Plans that do not meet the Health Care Coverage requirements of the University include:
- Short Term Limited Duration Plans; and
- So-called “travel plans” or other similar plans created expressly for the purpose of providing coverage to international students and/or non-immigrant visa holders.
Essential Minimum Benefits comprise of a comprehensive package of benefits and services that must be included in a PPACA compliant health care, including:
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Hospitalization (such as surgery)
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care (care for a mother and baby before and after the baby is born)
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment, counseling and psychotherapy
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
If your alternate health insurance coverage meets these requirements, acquire the following scanned documents before clicking below to submit your waiver information:
- A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member
- A scanned copy of your complete policy, including exclusions & limitations and dependent coverage
Please contact Academic HealthPlans at 855-824-9679 if you have questions.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR WAIVER REQUEST ONLY IF YOU MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA & HAVE YOUR SCANNED DOCUMENTS READY